Bank Change as well as Program Change

Home Forums Feature Wishlist Bank Change as well as Program Change

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of polillin polillin 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rich
    Participant

I have instruments that need to have bank change as well as program change to get to the preset that I want to play. I’d like to see where you can have program change assigned to the alpha and bank change assigned to the beta.

BTW, really liking the sequencer! Thanks so much for creating this!

Christian
    Keymaster

Hi Rich,
    thanks for the kudos!

Regarding your question, isnĀ“t a bank change just a CC message (bank select)?
    This would be already implemented.
    You could use Midi Control Alpha for Program Change and Beta for that bank select message. The only problem might be that a bank select message might be made up of two CCs, namely MSB and LSB. The only thing off the top of my head would then be to utilize a Midi Control from another track in addition.
    But some synths might even respond to only sending the MSB or LSB, worth checking that out.

Rich
    Participant

“MSB and LSB Don’t let this bit of technical jargon scare you off. MSB stands for Most significant byte and LSB stands for Least significant Byte. This data format is used when 127 values are not enough for the control. Think of it like a shortwave radio. The MSB sets the coarse tuning and the LSB is the fine tuning. Synths with very finely articulated knobs may send out an MSB and LSB, but most just send an LSB. You can tell by recording a knob tweak in your sequencer, then looking at the data in the event editor. If there are two sets of controllers, each with a range of 0-127, that’s what’s going on, it’s sending a MSB and an LSB. Don’t worry about learning hexidecimal code that the programmers have to deal with. Unless you are writing music software, all that stuff is a waste of time. Just remember, coarse and fine tuning.

One of the beautiful, but confusing things about controller definitions is the way manufacturers can creatively use them to control the innards of their synthesizers. Remember, it’s just code. Send the right code, the synth reacts.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Avatar of Rich Rich.
    Rich
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. FYI, for anyone else trying to get this to work, on my Novation Mininova, the bank change was CC-32. For my TB-3, it was CC-0. It looks like on most gear it is usually one of those.

polillin
    Participant

Hello.
    In my case, I’m using a Yamaha DJX as a sound module to learn how to sequence with Zaquencer.
    When using its GM Voice List, you just need to adjust MIDI CTRL (alpha) to [PrCh], so you can use MIDI CTRL (beta) for any other purposes, let’s say, for delaying.
    BUT if you want another Panel Voice List (out of GM), you have to set MIDI CTRL (alpha) to [C32], and MIDI CTRL (beta) to [PrCh], and assign MIDI CTRL (alpha) to the LSB value in the list (and, of course, MIDI CTRL (beta) to the Program Change value in the same list).
    Wish it is useful for anybody with the same doubts I had!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.