Experimental jam

Home Forums Music and Audio Production Experimental jam

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of teknoid teknoid 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    erwan Bz✨
    Participant

Hi!

Thought I’d share this, as most of it was “zaquenced” live (+ some live drumming on the MRS-1608, some volca cross-looping, and voice samples added whilst mixing in Cubase).
    Warning: heavy ratcheting ahead! :)

Zero to Ten in Mandarin Chinese

My lofi setup:
    - Yamaha PSR-36
    - Casio CZ-101
    - Volca Bass
    - Volca Beats (modded)
    - Zoom MRS-1608 (master clock + audio recording)
    - Zaquencer (can’t wait to install new firmware!)

Peace
    Erwan

alien_brain
    Participant

we be jamin…

was the experiment a success?

is that ‘grandfather clock inspiration’?

way to demonstrate the capabilities of the zaquencer!

Robert
    Participant

Relaxed.

Listened the whole 7 minutes, so… It’s cool.

Robert

erwan Bz✨
    Participant

Thanks Robert!
    Not sure when to qualify my jams as “successful” really.. They’re usually self indulgent, and a bit weird.

alien_brain
    Participant

im not sure if experimental is ever something i would call any music… an ‘experiment’ suggests that you are trying to prove/disprove something. you could call it ‘practice’ i suppose, but that would connote the goal of reaching a destination state of intention which is not really experimental in nature, its an intended outcome. perhaps ‘self instructional’?

what is the experiment?

erwan Bz✨
    Participant

Interesting. You’re right: I wouldn’t call my music experimental.
    Experimenting also means to ‘try something in order to discover what it is like or to find out more about it’ so I suppose what I meant in the title was “Experimenting with Zaquencer’s ratchet feature”.

It’s difficult to put a name on the sort of music I like making. I mostly try and make the most of my cheap, limited setup. Coming from a jazz background, I like the improvisation aspect of music most of all, and (short of finding musicians in the sticks where I live) I try to find organic ways of playing my machines. The Zaquencer definitly helps towards that!

“Self instructional” maybe, as I strive to find musical concepts that will sound new to my ears. I also rather like Steve Coleman’s concept of “spontaneous composition”, and Jimi’s “experience”… so many labels..

I was actually sad to see that soundcloud makes you now choose from a list of genres. I rather enjoyed making the genre up..

alien_brain
    Participant

aha! ive got it! ‘exploratory’ fits well i believe.

erwan Bz✨
    Participant

Absolutely :)

teknoid
    Participant

nice piece You seem to have a good control over the sequencer. I must admit I personally find the learning curve rather steep. Even though I used any other sequencer available and then some :) well, almost ;)

@alien brain: Experimental music is just what it is, experimental. No need to confuse it with a scientific experiment or getting overly ‘semantic’ about it. Check wiki pedia if you need, but it seems you have already done, finding he ‘exploratory’ word ,)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.