midi cc input

Home Forums Feature Wishlist midi cc input

This topic contains 21 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of alien_brain alien_brain 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    alien_brain
    Participant

zaq, (did someone call you christian? is that your name?) what things are you considering putting in the list that will received cc input support? i have some suggestions as usual lol!

-total accent level
    -scale (can you add more scales?)
    -root note
    -clock divider
    -shuffle
    -track mutes

Christian
    Keymaster

Hi alien,
    yup my name is christian, but zaq´s fine as well :)

So far I was considering track mutes, stop/play, patterns etc.
    In my mind it shouldn´t be too hard to add more functions to Midi CC control (no guarantee though, most of the time I find out how hard it is when starting to work with it).
    The biggest challenge might be mapping the parameters to the available CCs. As in, how do you express a parameter change in a Midi CC message? This might get more clear if you imagine wanting to change some step parameter, where you´d quickly run out of CC messages. So most likely, step params won´t be available.

What do you mean by total accent level? Midi velocity? Also “root note”? Midi note pitch? Or the scale base?

Adding more scales might be possible. Do you have specific suggestions?
    Have you discovered the user scale though? Basically you have one freely assignable scale already in there.

alien_brain
    Participant

i may be unaware of how the single velocity parameter works when in drum mode. i guess im thinking of the way a 909 works, you put an accent on any step and they are all the same according to the ‘accent level’ knob. but i guess i missed that zaq is probably per step even if youre triggering multiple notes on that step.

yes scale base… can you make incoming midi conform to the scale? im just a guy who likes to turn knobs. i like the way you can switch up the scale… it gives another illumination to your pattern that is quite useful. im no scale hound. i just use my ears.

im ultra happy with this thing btw! i just cant help but explore what could be possible, but you have done a very nice job so far. i have been talking all my friends into buying one lol! its perfect for intricate pattern writing, thats for sure. my music making days are that much more fun when i use zaquencer!

rempesm
    Participant

CC input for shuffle, clock divider, track mutes and transposition via live midi control (not necessarily per-step although that would be neat!) would be ultra useful in my setup.

Christian
    Keymaster

i may be unaware of how the single velocity parameter works when in drum mode. i guess im thinking of the way a 909 works, you put an accent on any step and they are all the same according to the ‘accent level’ knob. but i guess i missed that zaq is probably per step even if youre triggering multiple notes on that step.

Yeah that´s pretty much spot on. The velocity value per step affects all notes of that track generated for the step. So also all drumhits. There is no seperate accent level on it´s own. It´s not too far from how accent on x0x works, but there is no on/off switch, only the continuous velocity value per step. The Acidlab Miami I have here for example interprets all velocity > 100 as accented and everything below as not-accented.

yes scale base… can you make incoming midi conform to the scale? im just a guy who likes to turn knobs. i like the way you can switch up the scale… it gives another illumination to your pattern that is quite useful. im no scale hound. i just use my ears.

Ah ok, I see where you´re coming from. Will check this for future updates.

im ultra happy with this thing btw! i just cant help but explore what could be possible, but you have done a very nice job so far. i have been talking all my friends into buying one lol! its perfect for intricate pattern writing, thats for sure. my music making days are that much more fun when i use zaquencer!

That is so good to hear, thank you very much! Above all I wanted to make a tool that people would enjoy using, and I´m happy to hear I was/am on the right track. Also I strive to make it even better, so just keep the requests coming. As always I can´t promise anything, but I want to continue working as long as it makes sense (technically, financially, conceptually).

Christian
    Keymaster

transposition via live midi control

That´s already possible via Midi CC. Please check out the Transpose Enbl parameter of the Global Menu.

rempesm
    Participant

Time for another read through of the manual I think and not late at night when my brain isn’t functioning! Cheers.

Zymos
    Participant

Can the transform enable show the actual interval based on the “scale base” setting? Instead of transposition relative to C as it does now?
    In other words, the way it works now is if I have, say, D as the scale base, and press C, the display shows t0, even though I have just transposed a whole step down.

Christian
    Keymaster

I´d have to look into that. Technically it should be possible, but wouldn´t this rather confuse? So far I was alway thinking about transpose only in steps and not really relative to the root note of the scale. I was thinking of the keyboard more as buttons in this scenario and not really as notes.

Zymos
    Participant

Or even better, display something like “t- D” to show that you’ve transposed to D.
    Along those same lines (and I think I started a thread on this too) it would be great if the display showed the actual note of a step- now it shows the note BEFORE it has been modified by the scale settings instead of the note being output.

Chi Mon
    Participant

+1 For CC input control of parameters.

Especially – direction, clock div, shuffle, mutes!

Siegmar Kreie
    Participant

For me :especially Repeat! One controller for instrument selection and one for rate would keep it monophonic.

Eli
    Participant

I was about to request this actually, but my thought was to have the sequence start and length steps be controllable by MIDI CC since these are the params that I end up messing with for live performance. This way it would be easy to control the sequence’s start, length and clock division all from one place and get some really interesting patterns.

alien_brain
    Participant

doh i cant wait for some of these controls via cc

alien_brain
    Participant

buuuump whos for some midi control??? :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.