SysEx ID Request

Home Forums SysEx SysEx ID Request

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Christian Christian 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Drewzeus
    Participant

Hello,

I am programming my own MIDI Routing software and have run in to a small wall. With each USB to MIDI interface, I need to automatically decide which MIDI device is connected. With most of my devices, they respond to the generic ID request ([240,126,127,6,1,247] or [f0,7e,7f,6,1,f7]), but the Zaquencer will just spit the same message back. Some devices seem to do this until MIDI THRU is turned off, but that doesn’t seem to do the trick. Is there a command I can send to programmatically discern that the Zaquencer is on the other end of the MIDI cable? A consistent error code response will also work. I saw in the manual that a failed SysEx file should cause an error code; This should work for my needs, but I cannot seem to send a failing SysEx. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
    Drew

Christian
    Keymaster

Hi Drew,
    you´re right, this functionality is not implemented in the Zaquencer.
    All Midi messages that the Zaquencer doesn´t recognize are being put through (if thru is enabled).
    To provoke the error message that is mentioned in the manual, you have to be in Store Menu and hold down push encoder 1 to initiate the SysEx reception. Don´t know if that´s practical for your case, but have you tried it this way?

Best,
    Christian

Drewzeus
    Participant

Hi Christian,

I have tried this, but I may not have done it correctly as I don’t think I was in ‘Store’ Menu.
    I was shipped away from my system for work and will not be back until Saturday. I’ll give it another try at that time.

On the other side, are there any messages I can send that will be recognized, but won’t make any changes?

Thanks,
    Drew

Christian
    Keymaster

Hi Drew,
    what do you mean exactly by “will be recognized, but won’t make any changes”?
    Every Midi message will be processed, but if it´s not meant for the Zaquencer it´ll be passed to the through.
    Can you elaborate further?

Cheers!

Drewzeus
    Participant

Hey Christian,

The idea that I’m rolling around my head would entail me trying to send a cc to change a relay switch, but to use a value that causes no change. For instance, if a value of 1 is on, 0 is off and 2 is invert, then would a value of 3 be consumed, recognized, and filtered?
    Another idea involves a midi control to change the BPM while the Zaquencer is configured to use an external clock source.

With this line of thinking, I am trying to find messages that are consumed by the Zaquencer but are passed by other devices in my system (Soundsculpture switchblades, Behringer UMC1820 and FCB1010UnO, etc.) which are devices that are unconcerned with MIDI timing structures.
    I can program a confirmation with a lack of a response in this way. Are there any ideas for messages to send along these lines of thinking?

I think I may be drifting off of the category a little though. My apologies.

Thanks,
    Drew

Christian
    Keymaster

Alright… so, would a CC message also be possible, or does it have to be SysEx?
    If CC is possible, hae you looked into the Midi remote functionality? (Manual P.22 and P.36/37). Maybe you can find a message there that doesn´t trigger any undesired changes in the Zaquencer (like “Reset” maybe?) but still helps you with your idea? All these would be consumed by the Zaquencer and not passed to the output (if you chose “filtered through” in the Global menu).

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Avatar of Christian Christian.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.