Transposing one track through looping back another track

Home Forums Tips and Tricks Transposing one track through looping back another track

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Mike Mike 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Christian
    Keymaster

For this trick it´s necessary to connect a Midi Out of the Zaquencer with it´s Midi In with a Midi cable.
    Then you can map one track to play out of this Midi Out on a certain channel, and setup another track to receive it´s transposition info on this same channel (in the Global Menu, see the “Transpose Enbl” parameter).

The transposing track can then be set as slow or as fast as you like with the clock divider setting.

This way you can create for example short arpeggios on the one track, that will get transposed by the second one, thus creating a longer varying sequence.

Mike
    Participant

I can’t seem to get this one to work – I’ve got track 1 outputting midi notes on midi channel 1 going to my sound source, and track 2 outputting midi notes on midi channel 2 (via port B) to the midi input on the zaquencer. I’ve got the zaquencer set to transpose enable for channel 1. I’ve also tried transpose enable for channel 2, and track. None of these seem to have the desired effect. Can you describe in detail how to set this up?

Thanks!

Christian
    Keymaster

I´ve just tested this again and for me it works like this
    (very similar to what you´ve done actually).
    For example:
    - configure track 1 to play out on channel 1 on port A to your Synth
    - configure track 2 to play out on channel 2 on port B and connect it to the midi in
    - in global menu, choose setting for transpose 2.05 (this means that tracks 1-4 individually get transposed by midi channels 2-5, so track 1 will react to the channel 2 of track 2)
    - make sure that both tracks are unmuted
    - enable a touch of negative note delay on track 2, so that the transposing notes are generated before the actual note playing the synth on track 1

for troubleshooting: is the green “input” light flashing, so you see that the transposing notes are coming in? if not, maybe track 2 is still muted?

Mike
    Participant

Thanks, I think I’ve got it working now. It took a bit of getting used to the idea of adding and subtracting semitones before I could get it to work – my first attempts had it spiralling out of control :)

One thing I noticed regarding the behavior and the midi lights is that if I add a negative note delay the transposition doesn’t occur for the first step until the second time around. That makes sense I suppose. I’ll keep playing with it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.