Linking Notes?

Home Forums Support Linking Notes?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Mike Mike 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

Hey guys,

just getting into using the Zaquencer with my MiniBrute and System-1m. One thing I would like to do is to link notes so I can get a note that is a bar long, etc. I cannot find any function other than the Note Length function which seems it does extend notes, but I can’t seem to extend as long as I would like (so instead of Midi Length, can we link notes to make them bigger?).

Thanks all!

MM
    https://soundcloud.com/Ypsi-Kid

Mike
    Participant

I know I can also change the number of steps which will also increase step length, are these the only 2 mechanisms available to change step/note length?

Thanks.

MM
    https://soundcloud.com/Ypsi-Kid

rempesm
    Participant

Hi Mike,

I’m not aware of a function by which you can specifically tie or ‘link’ steps in the Zaquencer but there’s a few things you can do to achieve the effect you’re after.

My favourite is making judicious use of the clock divider function (pg 15 in the manual) which will let you change the length of any step relative to the BPM in equal increments for a whole track.

You could, for example, have a 32 step sequence where each step will be equal to one bar or a 32 step sequence where each step will be equal to a 32nd note.

Remember that the clock divider is set per track so you could have completely different clock dividers running on all four tracks that are locked to the same BPM. This is particularly useful if you’ve got a chord sequence on one track and drums on another track.

As you can set step lengths from four bars down to 96th notes (unless I’m remembering the manual incorrectly), you’ve got quite a bit of flexibility if you plan out your clock divider settings.

If you’re after very long step lengths but want to have as many steps per pattern as you can, you could set the clock divider to 1, set all the step lengths to four bars and mute every three steps after the first step per group of four steps (On Off Off Off, On Off Off Off, etc).

Have a play around with the clock divider with a sequence programmed in and hopefully that will make sense.

Christian
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,
    what rempesm said is spot on. Have you tried his suggestions?
    I´m not quite sure that linking notes is possible in Midi. It would really only make sense if the following note is the same note value as the preceding one. Then the note off and following note on could be omitted, but it sounds like a kludge in my opinion. With rempesms suggestions you should be able to create plenty long notes.

Mike
    Participant

Thanks guys. Had a bit of a play around, but will need more time to wrap my head around the clock divider stuff. I was able to get longer notes playing, just need a bit more time to play.

Really appreciate the info, now I just need get my hands dirty!

Cheers.

MM

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.