Lxr question

Home Forums Support Lxr question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Daryl Daryl 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Daryl
    Participant

Hello all I am relatively new to all this I was wondering if anyone has experience using a sonic potions lxr with a zaquencer as that was part of my planned setup. The lxr has 7 indiviual tracks for each drum part (kick is seperate to snare ect) my question is how would one intrgrate an lxr into a setup using the zaquencer (along with other synths)me not fully understanding the science here Im concerned is it possable to sequence the lxr fully using a single zaquencer on 1 channel? I noticed another person on the forum has an lxr in thier setup but uses ableton for the lxr part this is something I’d like to avoid.
    Also another silly lesser question on top does the zaq work with a volca sample(unmodded)?

Craig
    Participant

If you want to sequence with the Zaq and use the LXR as a drum module, you’d assign each LXR instrument’s midi note # to one of the 16 drum instruments on the Zaq.

Tommy Down
    Participant

LXR is a bit wonky. you have to set the primary MIDI channel to something separate to the ones you want to run the voices.
    as an example I have global set to MIDI 5, voice 1 set to MIDI 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3 then snare clap/cymbal and hats to 4.

Then! Change the NTE on the voices run from your drum section to the corresponding instrument voice (C#1 on LXR is Ddb-1 on Zaq – they do not correspond immediately).

Sequence some stuff, set bpm on lxr to 0, add some random notes on the LXR sequencer and you are good to go.
    It is worth it! Honest!

Daryl
    Participant

Thanks alot for the input!

If im understanding this right… voices for the lxr are on different midi channels but by combining voices into groups and assigning them to tracks I can access potentially all voices?

Realitically though would this not risk either making things either sound sloppy if i put too many in one track or use up all my tracks and have no room left so synths and such? apolagies for not grasping things I have yet to a hands on with the prinicpals of how these (poly rythmic?) setups work and thus I have these concerns…

Tommy Down
    Participant

Ok the LXR is a 7 voice polysynth and a 7 instrument drum machine and every combination between.
    Therefore it will respond to Note tracks and Drum tracks on your Zaq.
    Its default settings are everything set to MIDI channel 0 which means everything recieves on all MIDI channels. You change change the MIDI channel per voice and for the global control channel too.
    By default the voices all respond to all MIDI notes. Normal drum machine instruments each respond to one MIDI note alone. Kick to 32 Open hi-hat to 60something etc etc.
    So to get an LXR voice to respond like an instrument you change its NTE setting (from the mix button) from ‘any’ to a specific note. I find it easier to set the notes to the Zaq defaults. I’ll have to get back to you on what they are. Possibly in the manual.

It sounds like you want to use the Zaq drum controls to manage the LXR and use the remaining Zaq tracks on other synths.

I’m really enjoying using the zaq and the lxr as a pait with zaq as primary sequencer and clock and the lxr adding random extra notes with its on board sequencer.

You can also use the LXR to clock the zaq – freeing up a track and allowing you to fully use the lovely LXR sequencer.

I haven’t checked whether the LXR responds to chords yet though.
    2 LXRs on one zaq drum track would be perfect

sorry for the essay.

Daryl
    Participant

Essay is highly appreciated! thats very helpful il play around with it.. thanks tommy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.