made a small home amp

Home Forums Tips and Tricks made a small home amp

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of colin colin 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    colin
    Participant

hey guys I made a small bi-amp from the ground by using one LM3886 op-amp per channel. The power supply is based on a (way too large) 230VA toroid transformer. It took me about 32 hours to build the amp and power supply. I made the casings out of wood, because I’m more comfortable with woodworking than with metal. Besides that, I have a thing with clear lacquered birch plywood. I have a bookcase and a dressoir made from it and my daughter sleeps in an ubercool birch plywood bed. Powered them with the 1 toroid transformer with double secondary windings: at least 120 VA max output, 2x 12-18 Volt. I used a 230 VA 2x 18 V model, which is really too big for this amp (over 300VA is considered overkill for any amp, so I’m pretty close to that :-))
    2x 10,000 uF / 35 V electrolytic capacitors
    1x rectifier module KBU1005
    1x Anti-interference filter for mains supply: Kemo nr. M41 (I only used it because I had it lying around. I would have left it out otherwise)
    1x switch. I already had a very nice old model.
    1x male power plug, Euro model. These plugs are also sold with an integrated power switch, like this one.
    1x 3 Amp fuse with socket
    1x 10mm red LED
    1x 100 kOhm resistor to dim the LED

Also hooked up these bookshelf speakers.

Though I’m not very happy with the result. I’m confident that the wires and connections will not cause shorts, but boy, what a mess! If I ever make another amp, this is the part that I’ll want to do better.

What do you guys think?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Avatar of colin colin.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.