Pitch-button randomises

Home Forums Support Pitch-button randomises

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Alcolm X Alcolm X 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Dino
    Participant

Greetings, I just flashed the demo on my device with Midi-OX and everything seemed fine, the hex values in the end matched the ones in the manual. Then I tried to doodle with it a bit, but foudn out that the note pitch button randomises everything, so if I press e. g. the note velocity button, I can’t adjust the pitch any more. I tried flashing the device again, but it made no difference. All other buttons seem to do what they should, though I didn’t try any other modes or alternative functions. Is there a ready solution for this problem?

Edit: Things just got more interesting, at least two of the buttons on the right also act funky. Store button starts and stops the sequence and Track 1 button enables and disables other tracks randomly.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Avatar of Dino Dino.
    alien_brain
    Participant

does the original firmware work well?

Dino
    Participant

Couldn’t say really, the device has mainly been sitting on a shelf for the last few years until I finally found some sensible use for it.

alien_brain
    Participant

its not unheard of for these units to have problems with switches, knobs, internal components such as the multiplexer etc etc. i would try to reflash it and then reflash the behringer firmware to verify that your switches work or not. my bet is on your hardware malfunctioning.

Dino
    Participant

I reflashed the device with original firmware 1.10 and all buttons and controllers worked as intended i.e. without any crosstalk, unresponsiveness or other issues, so it doesn’t seem to me that the problem is in the hardware. I then reflashed Zaquencer demo, but the problem persisted. I then tried flashing Zaquencer with Bome SendSX and got what appears to be a clean flash,

F0 00 20 32 7F 15 35 00 2F 00 F7
    F0 00 20 32 7F 15 35 00 3F 00 F7
    F0 00 20 32 7F 15 35 00 4F 00 F7
    F0 00 20 32 7F 15 35 00 5F 00 F7
    F0 00 20 32 7F 15 35 00 6F 00 F7
    F0 00 20 32 7F 15 35 00 7F 00 F7
    F0 00 20 32 7F 15 35 01 0F 00 F7
    F0 00 20 32 7F 15 35 01 1F 00 F7
    F0 00 20 32 7F 15 35 01 2F 00 F7
    F0 00 20 32 7F 15 35 01 3F 00 F7
    F0 00 20 32 7F 15 35 01 4F 00 F7
    F0 00 20 32 7F 15 35 01 5F 00 F7

yet still it does not work properly. Is there anything else I could try?

alien_brain
    Participant

thats pretty strange. perhaps the zaquencer firmware is larger than the oem firmware and is therefore loaded into a corrupt portion of the eeprom that isnt touched with the oem? thats my best guess.

Dino
    Participant

In fact the original firmware is 33 % larger and writes more blocks. Thanks for trying to help anyway. Anyone else want to pitch in and help me get this thing together?

alien_brain
    Participant

redownload. my final suggestion

Christian
    Keymaster

Hi Roni,
    the way it sounds from your first post definitely hints to the multiplexer hardware bug described in here:
    http://ricardo-dias.com/2013/07/19/repairing-a-behringer-bcf2000/
    The classic sign being that one button triggers multiple functions (from other buttons).

The strange thing is that it doesn´t seem to happen with the original firmware. Have you installed or programmed some controller presets after uploading the original BCR firmware?
    In the hardware issues forum post on here I recommend testing the buttons like this:
    - enter the edit mode for every button (hold edit + press button)

Ususally in the original firmware they show the funky behaviour when pressing multiple buttons at once. A device with tha hardware error that I´ve tested here did not go into edit mode for the affected buttons.

I can only advise you to test it some more and if the suspicion solidifies, follow the repair instructions from the link I´ve posted above.

Dino
    Participant

Hi Christian,
    I haven’t made any changes to the presets after pulling the device from the shelf and flashing Zaquencer. I tested the buttons by entering edit mode as you suggested, but could not reproduce the erroneous behaviour on any button. I then reflashed the demo and found out that occasionally the note pitch button enters the note pitch mode as intended, but more often it randomises everything or enters some other mode. I haven’t yet found out what mode that might be, because turning a knob then doesn’t seem to do much to the audio.

I understand next to nothing about electronics, so is the hardware bug definitely a faulty display module, or could some other faulty component also result in this kind of behaviour? The author mentions that two segments on his display were dead. The segments all displayed correctly when I entered different modes and checked the display visually, but it is of course possible that some combinations don’t work properly. I’ll have to check both modules with my multimeter later.

Thanks for help, I’ll report my findings I’ve had the chance to test the display.

Christian
    Keymaster

Hi Roni,
    just to make sure, the test with the Edit button refers to the original BCR firmware from Behringer. It wasn´t clear to me from your description above.

That´s right, what I forgot when I wrote about the presets is that the Zaquencer demo does not overwrite any presets. So if you reflash the Behringer firmware to test, all the original presets should still be there.

You can find out the mode that the Zaquencer is in by looking at what LED is on. Either it´s one on the right if it went into Mixer or Inst Select or Store/Load/Global mode, or if all these are off, you can see the mode from the LED that´s lit in the two top rows.

I have not heard about another component causing this behaviour, only the display. This doesn´t mean that it´s impossible though. I have personally fixed one device following the repair instruction, but I´ve also heard of users that were not successful with it. The problem is that there is not so much experience here, because the number of devices with this bug seem to be somewhere in the 0.5% range.

It´s important to do the multimeter test before exchanging the display. Can it be that you didn´t see the faulty segment, because maybe the software did not use all of them? Especially the first of all four digits is not used too much. Then there is also the dot “.” in each digit which is a seperate segment…

Dino
    Participant

Yes, I understood that the test should be done with the original firmware. I now shuffled through the presets present on the device and on some presets the edit+button does lit up a totally different button when pressing the two buttons on the first column on the left. Very peculiar that it only occurs on some presets while others work fine, but this settles the case then. 0.5 % huh, lucky me!

Dino
    Participant

I have now tested the display modules, all the segments tested OK including the dots. The problem therefore must lie elsewhere, and my knowledge of the matter ends well before being able to fix it.

I now have two suitable display modules anyway, I’ll try soldering them on the board as a last resort.

Alcolm X
    Participant

I too am having the NOTE PITCH randomization issue. Just discovered it. Will have to look into the tests and fixes you guys having been discussing. Looks like I’m another of the lucky 0.5%.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.