top row encoder buttons?

Home Forums Support top row encoder buttons?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of guyot guyot 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Rob Ocelot
    Participant

This might seem like a weird question about the BCR-2000 top row encoders but…

Is the leftmost top row encoder (ie TYPE) on most BCR-2000′s a non-push button encoder?

I just aquired a used BCR and that encoder is definitely not push button. I’m wonder if this is intentional or if the unit I have has been damaged or made incorrectly.

recliq
    Participant

It should be a push encoder as well, all top row encoders are.

Rob Ocelot
    Participant

Thanks for the confirmation.

I just opened my BCR-2000 up and that encoder doesn’t appear to have been replaced. Unless whoever swapped the encoder had soldering hands of steel this looks like a factory error (wrong encoder in the picker?). Doen’t seem like the switch has seized either.

Weird.

Zaq, if you do plan on using those switch encoders in the future can you please lay off that one (or at least don’t put a really important function there)?

j/k, if it ever comes to that I’ll get you to custom tweak the firmware for me.

Christian
    Keymaster

Not for now… I’ve replaced all encoder for mentioned above… no case work still.
    And this detent issue just makes me mad really. I mean using this encoder means 1 detent 2 notes and that’s not very convinient. To remove detents means to loose ergonomics. And ZAQ didn’t answer about possibility to change firmware to get rid of this behaviour.
    BTW I don’t think that this could bring difficulties to normal units as they don’t have detents and nobody would really see any change.

Hi guys,
    yes I´ve been on holidays but back in the office now.

Egor, please PM me your email address. I have an idea how to achieve your desired behaviour with a small change in the firmware and could send you a quick prototype.

Would love to see a picture of your work as well!

Christian
    Keymaster

Is the leftmost top row encoder (ie TYPE) on most BCR-2000′s a non-push button encoder?

The topmost row should all be push encoders. Have you tried gently pulling the encoder? Maybe it got stuck in “down” state somehow?

Zaq, if you do plan on using those switch encoders in the future can you please lay off that one (or at least don’t put a really important function there)?

The top left push encoder is already used to trigger the SysEx functionality. There is no plans atm to use it for further functionality.

I just had another quick idea, you could try to solder a push button to the respective pins and trigger the push with this extra button.

Egor
    Participant

Picture won’t help as it’s still cased in it’s original casing. still had no time to make all that shifts and ad additional row of buttons but time will come. I just have 3 DIY projects on the table and about 5 synths to restore and mod. And they all have slightly above priority for studio :)
    But as I’ll do anything additional I’ll surely post it here.
    Br.
    Egor

htk
    Participant

Hi!

My top row encoders are also dying, and I will want to replace them.
    I think encoder with detents would be enjoyable to use, but as Egor has reported this leads to problems.

I don’t know much about encoders but I think the problem could be this:

the detents in the 24 pulse/24 detent encoder will “sit” in a position that makes an increment of one detent send out a “whole” pulse, but BCR2000/Zaquencer processes both edges of the pulse for 2 changes for the price of one ;).
    ___
    detent 1 ___| |___ detent 2

I don’t know the logic how Zaquencer processes the pulses received, but I guess an “alternative” firmware wouldn’t be much work, if it only means replacing this behaviour? But it would mean all 32 encoders should be with detents then?

Also, if the above is correct then if there is a 24 detent/12 pulse encoder it should work right away?

Lots of question marks, sorry! Main problem seems to me that undetented encoders with a included switch are obscure, only found ones with detents.

Christian
    Keymaster

Hi htk,
    thank you for sharing your thoughts!

I do not have detent encoders here to test, but I have built an alternative version for Egor and he wanted to report back how it works with them.

The version I´ve built reads the encoders at half speed, it should hopefully work with the detented encoders. I would not want to make that the default version though, because you need double the number of turns to cover the whole value range of an encoder and this feels a bit slow for regular use.

Also, I´ve read in another forum that Flavio has aparently found the right encoders without detents:
    @ALL: TRIPLEX Service GmbH apparently found the right Push-Encoders. Encoder VE-EC12E24144 ENC;12mm;PUL:24;L:30mm;W/SW is the type number. The normal encoders without push function are Encoder VE-ED1214B/D24/L30/WO/V6

guyot
    Participant

Anybody have detent encoders on his BCR??
    It is a really great idea and i am interesting to taste it !!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.