Additional Intervals

Home Forums Feature Wishlist Additional Intervals

Tagged: 

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of mks30 mks30 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    rempesm
    Participant

Would there be any way to modify the chord setting to include basic two note intervals, e.g. minor/major thirds, fifths, etc.? I know at the present moment the Chord setting has capacity to output polyphonic steps but it will always play a tetrachord at a minimum outside of the settings that will add an octave above or below. While that is really useful, sometimes I want just two notes on at the same time!

I know I can throw in another track routed to the same polyphonic synth if I really need to but it’d be nice to have the option on one track.

rempesm
    Participant

Do you have any thoughts on this, Zaq?

I appreciate you’ve been flooded with various requests and the software is for all intents and purposes complete but do you think the firmware has any possibility of supporting this in the future?

I just really think users would get more mileage out of the Chord function if it supported these basic intervals.

Christian
    Keymaster

Hi rempesm,
    thanks for sharing your request!
    I like the idea and for a change this should be an easy one.
    I´m just submerged with a different Zaquencer-related topic, so I don´t know when I´ll come around to it.

I will keep you posted here.
    Cheers!

rempesm
    Participant

Hi Zaq,

Thanks for the response.

No problem, I appreciate there’s some biggies to sort out at the moment (Sysex dumps and the like come to mind) but I was just curious if this was possible to implement. Pleased to hear it doesn’t sound too daunting of a task.

Look forward to hearing any updates on it.

Christian
    Keymaster

Added basic two note intervals in 1.04

rempesm
    Participant

This is great, thanks so much for adding this in and supporting user requests.

erwan Bz✨
    Participant

Thank you Christian!!

I am reviving this thread though, as I feel the zaquencer chord feature could be rewritten more logically in the following way:

- start with 2-notes intervals (including octave, ninth, etc.)
    - then have 3-notes chords + inversions
    - then have 4-notes chords + inversions
    - do away with the 1xx and 2xx octaves slots, as changing the root note seems enough to do the trick (could free up memory?)
    - have a way to build a chord from the ground up (could replace all the above of course!)

I understand it would mess up everyone’s existing sequences of course, but would be super awesome.

Christian
    Keymaster

Hi erwan,
    thanks for your contribution!
    I really thought a lot about the chord function lately and how to expand it/make it better.
    I would like to include inversions as well, but haven´t found a use concept yet (that I could add to the existing one) that makes sense.

To anyone reading this, I would love to hear your thoughts about a restructuring of the chord function. Would you like a rework that would utltimately give you more possibilites, but would mess up your existing sequences chord-wise in the short run? What dou you think about the existing chords that add the octave below/above? Do you use them a lot? Could they be sacrificed for inversions?

erwan Bz✨
    Participant

I had a go at re-arranging by family, with progressive, “useful” enrichments (although I stopped enrichments at the ninth). I used “standard” chords, and tried to match numbers with intervals (to some extend, obviously) ie. the minor chord family is 30-39 because of the 3 semitones that characteries it, etc.

With single intervals, I’m not quite going one octave down but it’s probably enough, as it’s not that useful really.

I shared the spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17Aq_zqup4c7Tq6ZhfwIptZDwfwd9jJeKqQzN-V_wAiM/pubhtml

I used the following notation (which makes more sense musically than just the number of semitones):

m2: minor second (1 semitone)
    M2: major second (2 semitones)
    m3: minor third (3 semitones)
    M3: major third (4 semitones)
    4: perfect fourth (5 semitones)
    d5: diminished fifth (=A4 augmented fourth, 6 semitones)
    5: perfect fifth (7 semitones)
    A5: augmented fifth (=m6 minor sixth, 8 semitones)
    M6: major sixth (9 semitones)
    m7: minor seventh (10 semitones)
    M7: major seventh (11 semitones)
    8: perfect octave (12 semitones)
    m9: minor ninth (13 semitones)
    M9: major ninth (14 semitones)
    etc.

It’d be awesome to have the display show the actual notation ie. “m3-5-m7″ (or be able to switch to it anyways :)

Not too sure how the inversions would work though – I’m a guitar/bass player, a piano player will have better ideas. I’m happy to share the google doc for editing!

my2c

erwan Bz✨
    Participant

(actually I replaced #29 with one octave down, more useful than a low minor third, all things considered)

Tommy Down
    Participant

Nice work erwan!

Any chance of implementing Coltrane changes? and…. counterpoint a la Moondog?

I can’t seem to make links from mobile but search for these on wiki. Some progressions would be very very delicious.

alien_brain
    Participant

this is one thing i havent gotten into yet… the chord function.

Tommy Down
    Participant

Actually the 1.04 chord additions are good for counterpoint. 2 notes separated by an increasing amount of semitones. It’d be nice to have 3 4 and 5 note versions.

Is there a mathematical layout of chords and their separation of semitones? Something like the xy drum pattern grid on mutable instruments? Perhaps X is number up to five notes in the chord and Y is the intervals, etc. Beyond X=6 perhaps you could repeat but with various minor major and extra or modified intervals and inversions.

Similar to erwans shredsheet.

Perhaps X=0 could be a user selection of chrords from the lookup table for easy live access.

Mathematical.

In response to alienbrain, when I first noticed the chords on zaquencer I made a choral sample set, female at C3 and above, male below then messed about with some chord sequences. choralcore! You heard it first here! :D Or rather… bwah-hahahaah!!

Tommy Down
    Participant

although looking at the list below (hope that link works) suggests I’m way off the mark. oh dear

Tommy Down
    Participant

gah! i can’t get links to work. I searched for ‘chords intervals piano’ and clicked on the http://www.angelfire.com/in2/yala/t4chords.htm link to Chords – Roots & Intervals/ maj, min, aug, dim, sus, 7ths. It was the 7th one down.

bah!
    (sheepish)

oh now it works…

(really sheepish)

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Avatar of Tommy Down Tommy Down.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Avatar of Tommy Down Tommy Down.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.