Firmware installation help

Home Forums Support Firmware installation help

Tagged: 

This topic contains 26 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of geoff geoff 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Axton
    Participant

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, but I can’t get the firmware to install on my BCR.

My BCR is currently connected to my PC via a Hosa midi to usb interface. I have Midi-ox configured per the Zaquencer manual. I have the Midi-OX Event Port connected to USB2.0-Midi on the port routing page. When I send the SysEx file, it transmits fine. The output monitor shows the data being sent. In the Scratchpad, the Command Window show’s the data being sent, but the Display Window remains empty and Bytes Received stays at 0.

On the BCR the little green light in the top right for Midi In blinks like it is receiving data. The display though never changes from LOAd (no numbers appear).

I’m pretty much a noob when it comes to midi (at least midi from a computer). I feel like I must have something configured wrong in Midi-Ox, because I don’t see anything that could be wrong with the BCR (although it is used).

alien_brain
    Participant

some newer or cheaper midi interfaces dont support sysex transfers.

Christian
    Keymaster

Alien is right, it´s most likely the Midi Interface.
    My understanding is that a few interfaces out there have a too small hardware buffer to store the complete SysEx messages, so they get chopped up and the BCR doesn´t understand them anymore.

A cheap one that we´ve found to work is the M-Audio Midsport Uno:
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/maudio_midisport_uno.htm

Do you have the possibility to try out another interface? Maybe borrow one from a friend?

Axton
    Participant

I think I can get access to an Elektron TM 1 interface from a friend. It looks like it’s designed for doing firmware updates. Do you think that one would work?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Avatar of Axton Axton.
    alien_brain
    Participant

yes im sure it will actually

Cyril
    Participant

Hello, I had issues too with a cheap midi interface, I have exactly the same symptoms described by Axton.

I tried with an USB cable and it worked :

Put your BCR in U1 mode : Start it in a normal way, press Edit and Store simultaneously and put the upper knob 1 to the far left : U1

Switch the BCR off. Plug the USB cable, start the BCR in normal way, launch MIDIOX

Go to Actions, Send > sysex file, choose the Zaq sysex file and send it. The BCR will display some numbers (every 10% the counter increases)

Once finished, switch off the BCR and Switch it on, the Zaq demo mode will be started, I will try this out now =)

CyA

SimonBorderline
    Participant

Same issue for me.

Does it work with usb ???

Cyril
    Participant

Simon, do you see the messages posted above ?

Christian
    Keymaster

Hi Cyril,
    I´ve just tried out the instructions you´ve posted above and – wow! It really works!!

BUT! Please bear in mind that this only works with the very first upload of the Zaquencer. For every subsequent upload (to update the Zaquencer or to go back to the original firmware etc) you need to go through the bootloader (holding Store+Learn at startup) and use a Midi USB interface like described in the manual.

Still, an amazing find, cheers!

Cyril
    Participant

Do you think there is a Sysex receive ready on the BCR ? If so, can you put one on the Zaquencer firmware ? if this is doable, I’m not a programmer =)

Christian
    Keymaster

There is one, but only through the bootloader and through the standard Midi jacks.
    The one thing that is not accessible through the bootloader is USB connectivity. This is why when the Behringer firmware is still running on the device you can use it, but not once it´s been replaced.

We´ve figured that the (quite large amount of) time needed to get USB working in the Zaquencer is better spent on actual sequencer functionality. Especially with 5$ Midi-USB cables available and considering that most electronic musicians own a Midi interface of some sort anyway.

Cyril
    Participant

I have one cheap but it’s so cheap that it cant handle uploading =)

I will buy a cool one online now =)

Christian
    Keymaster

Yeah unfortunately with the very cheap ones it´s hit-and-miss. We do have a 5$ no-name USB Midi cable here that works perfectly for uploading SysEx, but have seen one that looks exactly the same that didn´t work.

The cheapest name-brand interface that we´ve successfully tried was the M-Audio Midisport Uno.
    I would hope that their build quality is more consistent…

Redukt
    Participant

Hello, i’m about to buy this firmware – looks amazing and it shure shows a lot of hard work went into the creation, so thanks for making my BCR useful again! :-)

Just one question: Has anyone ever tried uploading the SysEx via the Elektron C6 software (http://www.elektron.se/support-and-downloads) instead of MIDIOX? I’ve used a Machinedrum for a few years and i liked the simplicity of the C6 software, whereas MIDIOX’s interface looks a bit scary to me…

Christian
    Keymaster

Hi and thanks or the kind words!
    While I haven´t tried it personally yet, some users on the forums have reported easy success with the Elektron C6 software instead of MidiOX. Maybe they can also weigh in here?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.