high pitched noise

Home Forums Bug Reports high pitched noise

This topic contains 41 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of fabi fabi 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    B
    Participant

Hi,

when using the zaquencer with poly synths (in my case micro q and fb01) after an unspecified period of time i get a high pitched tone which continues after the zaquencer is stopped (when midi thru off. if midi thru is filtered then the noise stops with the zaquencer). i have reflashed the firmware and reinitialised the zaquencer. i will try with an older version now to see if that makes a difference.

thanks

ukk1337
    Participant

hi,

i experienced exactly the same a while ago when using the zaquencer with a shruthi and also when using massive-vst. the only way to stop that noise was to power off the shruthi. i only use the midi-out of the zaquencer, so i didn’t played around with the midi-thru options.
    i’ll try to repoduce this issue while monitoring midi-traffic.

Christian
    Keymaster

The only thing I could imagine right now is if there was a very high note being accidentally generated but no note off following. Do you have some hints how this happened? Like when using a lot of chords, or the arpeggiator etc.? It would be great if you could reproduce this behaviour or send some patterns/global settings as .syx to support@zaqaudio.com. I will be looking into it here as well.

Schneefels
    Participant

I had the same issue with a roland jp08 connected. A very high frequency noise. Only switching off and on the synth helps. I had three instruments on one output, unfiltered and thru enabled – lots of data. Now the jp08 is the single device on output b, filtered, thru enabled, no problem anymore.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Avatar of Schneefels Schneefels.
    Christian
    Keymaster

Thanks for chiming in! It seems that this affects more people.
    Do you have a feeling when it might occur? Like, are you using the scale feature? A lot of chords? How high or low are the notes of your sequence?

I have already looked into the issue here, but was not able to produce it so far. I have also looked into the code creating noteOn/noteOffs but for now it seems solid. From looking at the code I could not imagine a scenario where there is a noteOn created, but no appropriate noteOff following.

I would be very grateful about more information or data about this. I will continue to look into it myself as well.

I´m thinking of including a panic function as an intermediate remedy (sending noteOff on all notes when pressing a button).

Christian
    Keymaster

Ah ok, thanks for editing your post with more data! From the first post and yours, it sounds like this might have something to do with the thru+filter settings. Will look into that next.

Schneefels
    Participant

Hi Christian, today I had again a note-hanger, not high-pitch but somewhere in the mids. And something came to my mind: the synth I had formerly problems with is now directly connected to the zaq (no problems anymore), the synth of todays problem is behind a thru-box. So far I had the problem only on synths which were behind that thru-box. It is a cheap meditech box http://miditech.de/de-248-produkte-midithru. So we should probably ask B and UKK if they had also a midi-chain with a thru box in it. Maybe a small hint to circle out the problem.

Second thought: panic function

Yes, it could be very helpfull, but it should be ‘smart’. My idea is that it sends the off-signal to every track at a different step. If we think of two quarter notes (1 e + e 2 e + e)I suggest to send the first off at 1e, second at 1e+, third at 1e+e and fourth at 2e. With that pattern the kickdrum will remain (speaking of EDM) and in a live performance you just add some randomness with the panic function, but not a complete blackout on one step.

It would be nice to hear other opinions on that, that is just what went through my mind today (thru-box-panic)

KR JAN

Nathaniel d Buckner
    Participant

So I thought this was my synth! I’m having this exact same issue. When behind a thru box I get a high pitched note.

I’ll try directly connecting to see if I can reproduce the issue as J.A.B. says above.

Best,
    Nathaniel

Christian
    Keymaster

Thanks J.A.B. and Nathaniel for your comments! Can you all who experienced this with a thru box please mention the brand&type of the box like J.A.B. did? I´d like to see if there´s a pattern. Also, please holler if you haven´t used a thru box (and no other midi through path – synth directly connected to the Zaquencer) and still experienced this. Thanks!

Edit: I just realized that the Miditech Midi Thru has a panic button. That seems an odd thing to incorporate into a through box, except you´re expecting anomalities?

Nathaniel d Buckner
    Participant

I’m using the MIDIThru. I built it myself! It’s very stable with my beatstep.

https://midisizer.com/midithru/

I have an extra one if anyone wants it!

erwan Bz✨
    Participant

I did get the high pitch noise, with daisy-chaining.
    I now use a Yamaha YME8 Midi Expander and haven’t heard the glitch anymore. Will keep you posted if I do.

B
    Participant

Hi, yeah, i encountered the issue originally when daisy-chaining the micro q and waldorf rocket. i have been trying to repeat the problem on the q alone, and have not been able to so far. i have however had unexpected high notes occasionally, but they haven’t hung as in previous instances.

Schneefels
    Participant

Yes same with me, very short high pitch noise now. Not hanging.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Avatar of Schneefels Schneefels.
    Christian
    Keymaster

When you say high pitched noise you mean tonal note noise, right (as opposed to white/pink noise)? Are you guys using the scale feature when this happens?

erwan Bz✨
    Participant

yes just one high note that hangs in forever until you reset the program on the synth.
    nope not necessarily using the scale feature.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.