high pitched noise

Home Forums Bug Reports high pitched noise

This topic contains 41 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of fabi fabi 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Schneefels
    Participant

No scales activated. Very tricky problem. I am very happy that I habe no hanging notes anymore, the short note isnt nice but not a performance killer. Its so hard to reproduce it. I ordered a Dreadbox HADES yesterday, so one more synth for testing :-)

btw christian you are right, a thrubox with a panic bottom is a bit dodgy but i assume that is because it has various filter options which can possibly cause some panic. I deactivated all filters so it works as a pure thru box.

edit: and dont worry christian the zaquencer is absolutly great! Just check out the arturia forum regarding the beatstep pro – the midi seems to be so buggy on this device, people complaining. Exept from this topic your product is flawless to me.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Avatar of Schneefels Schneefels.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Avatar of Schneefels Schneefels.
    B
    Participant

yeah. yesterday while trying to recreate it, i got a G9 midi note on channel 1 where i think it should have been a G3 on channel 5 (this was while daisy-chaining the rocket thru the micro q), but it didn’t hang, using a midi-splitter seems also to negate the hanging process.

for me also it seems to be specific to midi out A.

Christian
    Keymaster

Ok, that´s already some hints to go by. It would be awesome if you could export the pattern and global data as sysex and mail it to support@zaqaudio.com

B, can you please describe in detail how the connections are going in/out from the Zaquencer?

B
    Participant

in the original case of the notes hanging i was running a midi cable from the usb interface into the zaquencer (for clock). the outs were midi out A to micro q and micro q midi-thru to waldorf rocket, midi out B to mbase 01.

yesterday i ran midi out A into the micro q on it’s own with a 3 way midi splitter going into the interface so i could see the midi note data. then i ran the rocket on the 3rd split midi. and then i switched the rocket to the micro q midi thru. as previously stated i didn’t get any hanging but observable midi notes in the high (9th) octave.

Schneefels
    Participant

Honestly today I wanted to write that it could be something with output A but I did not because it was just a feeling, no proof. But yes the problem occured only on output A synths so far.

Mbase is a monster.

Francisco
    Participant

I also have the same problem with my volca keys on output A. A high pitched note that fires by itself randomly and gets stuck. It happens sometimes (about 2 times every 6 hours of jamming).

Craig
    Participant

Wow. Same issue here. I have a fairly complicated midi setup so I was stumped about what it could be. I get very high pitched, almost “Whine” type sounds from my OB6, SH2, Minilogue, Octave CAT SRM, etc… pretty much any synth I put on a thru box from the Zaq can have issues. It’s not every time and I can’t seem to be able to make it happen on demand but it’s bothersome enough to interrupt nearly every studio session at one point.

Aaron
    Participant

HI, first time posting here, but been reading a lot…So, I’ve been having both of these separate issues described in this thread.The first problem is the one described as the note hanger? (Not high pitched) I am running midi play to my XOX and had been getting weird out of sequence tones randomly in the sequence. It was running through a midi solutions 1 in 4 out thru. I took it out of that chain and hooked it up directly to the second midi out and that completely fixed the issue. I’m also having the high pitched tone issue but it’s different. Using a JP-08 (also having the same problem with a JX-03) Hooking up to the second port didn’t solve the problem.I’ve been able to remedy the high pitched tone issue somewhat by Turning down the envelope release all the way on the synth itself. That seems to work pretty well. Don’t know if that’s an acceptable fix, but it’s at least keeping that tone at bay…

Christian
    Keymaster

Hi guys,

thanks again for submitting your bug reports. With all these reports, this topic is highest on the priority list right now (after releasing the next update).

The thing is, I´ve already bought a cheap Miditech Thru box (which was reported in this thread to have shown the error) and had the Zaquencer running with it for 30 hours or so, but the bug did not show even once here…! I tried before without the Thru, but also wasn´t able to provoke the bug.

I have a feeling that if we want to have a chance to catch this bug it has to be a joint effort. I´m asking again that when you´ve encountered the bug and are interested in having it fixed, please export your global settings and pattern as a .syx file and send it to support@zaqaudio.com (we haven´t received a single mail regarding this issue yet). Please include additional info about your complete hardware setup, the more detailed the better, maybe even a diagram. Most of you already included more info, which is great, but I actually need all the relevant information to make sense of it.

I think the following should be sufficient for the email:
    - global settings/pattern as .syx files
    - Zaquencer version
    - Output A/B
    - Through box (yes/no, which one?)
    - all other connected devices (and how are they connected exactly -> diagram would be best)
    - is there a Midi USB interface somewhere in your setup?
    - estimated frequentness of the bug (happend x times in x hours of play)
    - anything else you can think of

If you want to help testing beyond that, and actively want to look for the bug, the most valuable info would be to have only one synth connected to the Zaquencer (and nothing else, not even to the synth´s through). So “Zaquencer->Synth”, have it show the error, and then submit the data above. The fewer variables the better, when trying to pinpoint a bug.

Thanks!

Eliah
    Participant

Hi, came here with the same issue. I just sent a report + files as requested to support. Really awful high pitch stuck note or something of the like. Seems to just happen after pattern plays for a couple minutes. Reproducible. Direct connect to synth from Port A.

Really hope this gets fixed as it’s killing an otherwise awesome sequencer. Let me know if you need more info other than what I sent via email. I believe I can reproduce it as it seems to just happen after a period of time.

Eliah
    Participant

I’ll add to my above post that the issue seems to correct itself (stuck note doesn’t appear after a couple minutes of play) upon turning off the BCR and then on again. Which may mean that the firmware didn’t properly load previously.

Christian
    Keymaster

Unfortunately I haven´t found the cause of this behaviour yet. I have put in a “Note Panic” function in the latest development version, that sends all Notes Off in the seleceted channels. This should get rid of any stuck notes. Depending on the frequentness of the problemm, that might be a solution/workaround. If anyone wants to try this beta version in advance, let me know (you need to own a Zaquencer license to try the beta).

Panason
    Participant

The stuck notes bug continues with firmware 1.50… synths are connected directly to the Zaquencer. I think it happens during editing a step while the sequencer is running :the edits sometimes make the Zaq drop the note off message.

Gerrit
    Participant

I have the same note hang as well, throughout all different firmwares. At first I was not sure if it was from the Zaq or another midi device but now I connected the Zaq straight to a Roland D50 and I got the same problem so it is not a thru device of such. Not sure if it is a BCR2000 electrical problem but I could hardly imagine…

I had this artifact earlier on a volca keys, but then the volca’s have some flakey midi implementation so I did not immediately suspect the Zaq. In that case I would almost say it was consistent in generating the highest C but on the D50 it was another note.

Latest occurrence I had with this was working with chord steps. But before I was thinking maybe it is because I am changing pattern length/start/stop point on the fly.

This note hanging is very annoying, you can’t have this when you are live and suddenly there is a (false)note you can’t stop.

I want to send you a global dump but the problem as well is that it is so random… it always appears when you forget the bug testing and start making songs. I haven’t found a clear way to reproduce it.

Gerrit
    Participant

Just had another occurance with a chord step, pretty soon after this:
    initialize patch with lowest notes (shift dial note, all to 0)
    same to note mute, initialize to all on
    same with note length, all to 16th
    set pattern length to 16 steps.
    dial in chords, various ones.
    set notes to note 72
    change chord modes randomly
    set pattern length to 6
    set pattern length to 1

high note is generated and hangs, even out of keyboard range, seems an A on the highest octave

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.