Possible solution to the unresponsive encoder issue

Home Forums Support Possible solution to the unresponsive encoder issue

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Christian Christian 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    prndrsn
    Participant

So, I have the common problem of a push encoder not responding if I turn it too fast. I remember someone mentioning pushing down on it, and it worked a little better but still pretty bad. It got me thinking, however, and I tried putting my thumb on one side of the knob and applying pressure (like I was trying to bend it, although not that hard) as I was turning it. It worked much better.

This leads me to believe that the problem is much easier than we’ve been thinking. I don’t think it’s the potentiometer itself that is the issue. I think it might be as simple as the hat not gripping the shaft properly. This should be really easy to fix.

How do I remove the hat, is it safe to just pull on it?

Christian
    Keymaster

Hi prndrsn,
    first of all, if you use caution it should be safe to pull the encoder hats to remove them.
    Secondly, while I don´t exactly know the cause of the slow/unresponsive encoders I really don´t think it´s because of the hat, becuase they are really pretty tight on the shafts (once you pull one off, you´ll see). I rather suspect the error in the wipers of the encoder. Maybe by applying pressure you improve the contact of the wipers.

One user, Martin, has reported success with exchanging encoders.
    Please see also this thread:
    https://zaqaudio.com/forums/topic/knobs-replacement

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.