using footswitch

Home Forums Feature Wishlist using footswitch

This topic contains 32 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of bg bg 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    von haulshoven
    Participant

Hi
    Von Haulshoven is the name.
    sequencer freak since (about) 1976

Can we use the footswitches for start/stop the sequencer?

Christian
    Keymaster

Hi Von Haulshoven and welcome to the forum!
    Thanks for your feature request!
    So far it´s not possible. Another user, alien brain, also inquired about the footswitches in this thread: https://zaqaudio.com/forums/topic/curious-about-future-plans

this is something that would be possible to implement for future updates. are more users interested in this?

Citric
    Participant

yes, start stop would be great or a reset to the first step in the actual sequence.

Mesmerised
    Participant

I second that. It would be the logical step to go: FS1 for Start/stop, FS2 for “load next pattern”

alien_brain
    Participant

hmm foot switches… maybe you can offer a variety of functionality such as start/stop, next sequence or next sequence bank, program change, momentary/permanent midi cc switch, set all notes to shortest length (while pedal is held) or maybe legato while held, mute/unmute track etc…

also perhaps you could make it store a list of values and cycle between them? if you only put one value in the list, it acts like a momentary or latched value and then alternates with a ‘default’ value? or perhaps another one you set.

Christian
    Keymaster

That´s all good ideas! Please keep in mind though that one footswitch is essentially one button. There are jacks for two footswitches in the back of the BCR so I can assign two functions. I´m guessing “Start/Stop” and “Next Pattern” take the cake?

I could imagine at some point having more complex functions being triggered by Midi CC (over a pedalboard).

von haulshoven
    Participant

start/stop – next pattern, would be great!
    do not make it to complicated I would say.

alien_brain
    Participant

if you intend to add these functions via midi control for midi pedals etc, then perhaps you could make the footswitches cv input for some purpose… maybe translate to cc etc and record position per step in real time? i mean why waste the possibility to use them in some interesting capacity… how about drum trigger input? hook some pads up or hook it up to your 808 trigger outs. simple functionality could easily be done over midi, lets make some interesting scheme with actual footswitches. my feeling anyway. :)

Christian
    Keymaster

I was wondering about the possiblity of including cv/triggers etc.. in the Zaquencer before. But then it occured to me that you need to have some sort of analog-digital-converter on the chip for that. Even though the footswitch jacks in the back look compatible, they are really only designed for registering a contact/no contact switch.

alien_brain
    Participant

not to be a pain, but i think 1 pattern is too short of a loop for the ‘next sequence’ idea. does anyone agree with me? think we could set the range of the loop and use the pedal to advance to the next x bar loop? (where x is the number of bars you set) that sounds simple enough to me and way more useful honestly.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Avatar of alien_brain alien_brain.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Avatar of alien_brain alien_brain.
    Christian
    Keymaster

Ok, I wanna make sure I understand your idea correctly.
    Can you please give an example with numbers?
    Would this span over patterns (and include pattern chain functionality)?

rempesm
    Participant

Start/stop and next pattern would be a great addition. An assignable trigger for note or track repeat would be neat as well.

alien_brain
    Participant

Ok, I wanna make sure I understand your idea correctly.
    Can you please give an example with numbers?
    Would this span over patterns (and include pattern chain functionality)?

this feature would allow you to take x pattern(s) where x is the number of patterns you set to loop –for instance, the first 4, or any number up to 16 i guess. then, when you hit the pedal, you jump to the second set of x patterns. press the pedal again, and you end up on the 3rd set of x patterns. this setting would be accessible somewhere in the global menus perhaps.

your sequencer is making quite a splash in detroit btw

Juan José
    Participant

I think using the footswitch to star/stop could be a waste (no offense, I think we could find more useful features).

However I find very interesting the next sequence idea by alien_brain.

I thought of an improvement associated with my Song Arrangement proposal.

The footswitch could be assigned to jump to the next song. Thus the stored songs may be sub-sequences within the same real song.

Juan José
    Participant

Other useful hands free functions could be:

• Temporary mix-mute mode switch.
      • Temporary instrument select mode switch.
      • Instant reload of current pattern.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Avatar of Juan José Juan José.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Avatar of Juan José Juan José.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.