Ratcheting per Step. Ratcheting like Tangerine Dream Music

Home Forums Feature Wishlist Ratcheting per Step. Ratcheting like Tangerine Dream Music

This topic contains 65 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of gel@bs gel@bs 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Christian
    Keymaster

andthis is one of the best ratcheting exsamples. http://youtu.be/-1RjvigkDh4

wow, I love this example! thanks for sharing.

while a “per-step-ratcheting” parameter is unclear if possible with the Zaquencer, I´ve noticed that a lot of these videos have manual buttons for the ratcheting. there is something similar in the Zaquencer already too, “note repeat”.

go to mixer menu => hold “note repeat” (page >) => press a track button at the same time => all notes playing at the time will get repeated as long as you hold the button.

you can adjust speed by turning any encoder while holding the “note repeat button”.
    also watch out that if you hit the track button when there is a mute step, the mute will get repeated. if you press a drum instrument button while holding “note repeat” that drum will get repeated, regardless of the step contents.

EDIT: I just made a quick video, demonstrating the feature here: http://youtu.be/88iPnBkS5Vk

Citric
    Participant

wow, cool. that sounds nice. a manual trigger for this is cool. better then nothing. ok if you can programm it it will the best but for now……wow. will try this tonight.
    Have to post the video in our forums etc. all the old Berlin School guys will be exited.

von haulshoven
    Participant

here are some of my sequencings skills
    did this with 3! maq 16/3,s a schrittmacher and the sequencer of a yamaha motif.
    http://vonhaulshoven.bandcamp.com/track/hunebed-roll-sequence

Citric
    Participant

wow that is a master piece of EM. respect. very cool.

von haulshoven
    Participant

thanks, cost me about 2 months to make it.

Siegmar Kreie
    Participant

So a dedicated midi – controller for the repeat per track (0=off) could do most of the trick.

Conor
    Participant

Another vote for adding some form of ratcheting to a future update if possible! While there are probably workarounds using the beat repeat feature, it’s not the same as a dedicated parameter built into the sequence…

Christian
    Keymaster

I´m still collecting ideas how to make this work.
    At the moment I see two paths that might be possible:

A) With a lot of effort I should be able to free one bit (that´s an on/off switch) per step in the pattern memory. That means you could set ratcheting on/off per step. What would the parameters then be for the ratcheting? I was thinking about coupling it to the Note Repeat parameter. That means the speed you set there would be the ratcheting speed as well. The length of the ratcheting would be fixed, either also dependent on the speed or to always go up to the next step.
    Pros: additional ratcheting parameter
    Cons: ratcheting speed effects all patterns, ratcheting length pre-set

B) great idea of Siegmar – offer ratcheting as additional midi control paramter. That means you´d have to sacrifice a midi control (alpha or beta) and set it to ratcheting, but then you would have 127 settings for different ratcheting modes, speed and length (would work kind of like chords, select ratcheting mode from a lookup table)
    Pros: support 128 kinds of ratcheting, can be different for each step!
    Cons: using up one midi control for it if you enable ratcheting

Both would mean quite some work but might be doable.
    Do you have any opinions on these two paths?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Avatar of Christian Christian.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Avatar of Christian Christian.
    Citric
    Participant

i think both are nice, but i prefer the b version. 128 dif. Ratcheting versions are very cool. ok then you have just 1 midi controler but hey, i can live that way :) for my needs it is more important to have a authentic ratcheting like the 70ies Berlin Sound so im in with b :)

Siegmar Kreie
    Participant

I´m refering to an external midi modulation with – for convenience – a internal hub between tracks. The Idea behind this is, apart from beeing open for recorded data or midi-lfos ect, is being able to build a network of ZAQs for batteling with other zaqinists or keeping a wall of interacting ZAQs just for yourself. Just one additional parameter (x8) is required: alpha and beta output routing, with 0=original,1-16=channelnumber/output-port fixed to A,17-20=internal track routing. On the input side we have channel independent target controllers for global parameters like user scale changes or channel dependent targets for track manipulations like repeat-control, scale or add. A button combination (reset plus …) to reset all external controllers would be usefull too.
    Disclaimer: These thoughts are fresh and need to be reviewed carefully.

Citric
    Participant

sorry sigmar , i just understand a few things.my english is to bad at the moment. is it right that you just want only 8 trigers for the ratcheting on one step?

The idear christian had, sounded quite nice in model b to me !

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Avatar of Citric Citric.
    Siegmar Kreie
    Participant

Nono, these 8 parameters define the output routing of the respective controller part of a track. Thus the way you can for example use controller beta of track 3 modulating the ratcheting of track 1 or another track in a second ZAQ-sequencer. You are then free in the number of steps for the ratcheting loop.

Citric
    Participant

sounds interesting .

Conor
    Participant

Plan B sounds most useful to me; plan A seems too limited. Thanks for giving this a go!

Adam
    Participant

What about having a single ratcheting rate per pattern (or global)? That way you might only need to have it set on or off for any given step.

(oops… should have read ahead)

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Avatar of Adam Adam.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.